Thursday, December 11, 2008

Christmas in Utah


I hate the snow.  I don't like driving in it wondering if I am going to be sliding down the hill any minute.  I don't like bundling up the kids every time we have to run an errand or they want to go out and play in the yard.  I don't like the lack of sun for days at a stretch.  And being from Arizona, I really do not like the cold.  But one thing I do very much love is the aesthetic of winter.  Downtown in Salt Lake City during Christmas is one of the most beautiful scenes.  The lights against the snow with people coming and going is very delightful.  They are not only at temple square, but at Gallivan Plaza, the Gateway, and line the streets all over the downtown area.  

We have been doing secret santa to a family in our neighborhood.  The kids love the suspense of running up a treat each night and hurrying back to the car.  We end each night with a story about Christmas from a reader.  This year we are staying home, making our own traditions and enjoying one another.  The neighborhood also looks great with lights.  This time of year is all about reflection.  I found facebook and now I am reconnected with people I had completely forgotten about.  It is interesting how the web is making life more meaningful for many people.  Maybe class reunions will go by the way side in favor of longer term, less expensive relationships that stretch across states and countries.  

Being nostalgic and sappy at this Christmas Season.

2 comments:

Elder Ethan Coleman said...

Miss you, my sappy and sentimental sister-in-law!

Buffy said...

fun that you are staying here! that means I might be able to see you more. :)